Saturday - August 23, 2008
Disch-Falk renovation photos, part 17
I read somewhere (sorry, I have no idea where) last week that they were changing the turf at Disch-Falk. The way I read it, it sounded like "they" were changing the turf now. Which seemed a bit odd. It seemed to me that we should've heard more about this. But, maybe something was announced while I was out of town and I just missed it? At any rate, I was in the vicinity of Disch-Falk this afternoon so decided to stop by and check on the situation. And, lo:
They've removed the green monster in cf making it very easy to see that, indeed, the old turf is long gone. I'm pretty sure they're going to Field Turf...not grass. You'd think this would be the sort of thing that might be announced on the TexasSports.com page, eh? You'd apparently be wrong by thinking something like that.
Ah well. I'll try to make a few more trips over there over the next couple of weeks and post updates as warranted.
Posted by Joanna at 6:54 PM | Permalink
Tuesday - August 19, 2008
Three more signings
I was out of town on vacation last week when the signing deadline passed so I didn't post a couple of items of interest:
- Jordan Danks signed with the White Sox (bonus: $525K; Statesman blog post)
- Robbie Grossman (signee from Cypress) signed with the Pirates (bonus: $1M; Statesman blog post)
- Hunter Cervenka (signee from Baytown) signed with the Red Sox (bonus: $350K)
In that blog post about Jordan Danks, it was also mentioned that Runey Davis and Hunter Hill are transferring to junior colleges.
Posted by Joanna at 6:59 AM | Permalink
Wednesday - August 6, 2008
I did my weekly scan for signing news to post to my 2008 MLB Amateur Draft Summary page during my lunch hour. No new Texas signings but there were a few from other teams. I believe the signing deadline is August 15th (a week from Friday). To date, Kyle Russell, Kyle Walker, Kenn Kasparek, and Casey Whitmer have all signed and will not be coming back. A few notes on how they're doing so far:
- Kyle Russell is batting .312 in 39 games with 138 at-bats, 32 runs scored, 43 hits (including 9 doubles, 2 triples, and 7 homers), 35 runs batted in, 23 walks, 48 strikeouts, and 2 stolen bases...through Aug. 5 with the Ogden Raptors (stats page)
- Kyle Walker is 1-0 with a 2.93 era in 14 games with 15.1 innings pitched; he's given up 12 hits, 9 runs (4 unearned), 8 walks, and has struck out 22...through Aug. 4 with the Casper Ghosts (stats page)
- Kenn Kasparek is 5-2 with a 3.40 era in 9 games (9 starts) with 39.2 innings pitched; he's given up 37 hits, 21 runs (6 unearned), 3 homers, 15 walks, and has struck out 47 (!)...through Aug. 3 with the Pulaski Mariners and Everett AquaSox (stats page)
- Casey Whitmer 1-1 (1 save) with a 1.93 era in 12 games with 14 innings pitched; he's given up 12 hits, 3 runs (all earned) 1 homer, 5 walks, and struck out 22...through Aug. 1 with the Vermont Lake Monsters (stats page)
Jordan Danks is still in negotiations with the White Sox. I don't think he'll be back but he does seem to be holding out to the end. Riley Boening also has not signed and I have no idea what he plans to do. He was a draft-eligible sophomore this past year, though, so I have a feeling he'll be back in the hope that he can improve his draft position next year.
None of the incoming class (Robbie Grossman, Hunter Cervenka, Brandon Loy, and Sam Stafford) have signed. Right after the draft, it looked like they would all be on campus when classes start up on the 27th, but there is news that Hunter may be close to signing. So we may end up 3-for-4 on that front.
Posted by Joanna at 12:57 PM | Permalink