Saturday - July 18, 2009
'Been reading some good things about JP Howell and Huston Street lately. To wit:
- J.P. Howell seizes role of closer even if it comes without a formal declaration from Tampa Bay Rays by John Romano (St. Petersburg Times) - Quote: "Since being converted from a starter in spring 2008, Howell has probably been the most dominant reliever (non-closer category) in the league. Howell's 2.15 ERA over that span is the best in baseball for pitchers with at least 125 innings."
- How a lane change worked for Street by Buster Olney (ESPN) - Quote: "He shifted from the left side to the right side of the rubber, and after he had done it for a short time and saw what the change did for him, he couldn't even imagine moving back to the left."
- Rockies living on Easy Street with clutch closer by Troy E. Renck (Denver Post/Austin American-Statesman) - Quote: "The move coincided with better mechanics. With Street getting in a better balanced position, his velocity jumped from 88 to 92 miles per hour."
Taylor Teagarden is also getting more playing time these days...starting every 4th or 5th game for the Rangers.
Posted by Joanna at 11:14 PM | Permalink
Thursday - July 16, 2009
Coach Garrido follow-up
Following up on Coach Garrido's guilty plea for DWI in February:
- Garrido sentenced to four days for DWI by Mark Rosner (Austin American-Statesman)
- Augie Garrido sentenced to 4 days in jail (News 8)
I'd been wondering about this for the last couple of months...since it was reported in February that his sentencing was to take place at the end of April. See the links for details.
Posted by Joanna at 10:52 PM | Permalink
Wednesday - July 15, 2009
Summer League Longhorns
I sent a note to myself 2 weeks ago...July 2nd, actually...so I'd remember to post a link to a very nice summer ball roundup put together by Donald Boyles and then didn't do anything about it. Tsk tsk tsk. Something jogged my mind today, though, and I went looking for the note and found it. So, go check out his Longhorns in the Summer Leagues post and get caught up. Unless, of course, you've already seen it. And, heck, even if you've already seen the post, it's worth another look. He's got links to all the teams and all kinds of things have happened in the intervening couple of weeks.
Posted by Joanna at 2:46 PM | Permalink