Saturday - February 23, 2013
Game 6: Nebraska at Texas
Game 2 of the Nebraska series. Texas let the game get away from them a little bit but pulled off the win on a "walk-off" single by CJ Hinojosa to win the game 4-3. It also meant they won the series. Dillon Peters started and went 6 innings; he gave up 2 runs (1 unearned) on 6 hits with a walk and 4 strikeouts. Texas and Nebraska spent an inordinate amount of time in the 7th getting the tying run on the board. To wit...
- The inning started with Dillon Peters on the mound.
- He gave up a lead-off single to 3b Josh Scheffert.
- Which prompted a pitching change. Texas sent Ty Marlow to the mound.
- Jake Placzek (ss) advanced Schaffert to 2b on a 1-3 sac bunt.
- Texas sent Travis Duke to the mound.
- Rich Sanguinetti (cf) grounded out to ss. Schaffert stayed at 2b.
- Austin Darby (rf) reached on an infield single (high-bouncer) to 2b, moving Schaffert to 3b. Brooks Marlow, playing 2b at the time, made a bare-handed scoop and almost beat Darby with his throw to 1b.
- Texas sent Cameron Cox to the mound.
- Bryan Peters (dh) singled up the middle, scoring Schaffert and moving Darby to 2b.
- Tanner Lubach (c) grounded out to 2b. Another high-chopper fielded by Marlow. Hinojosa was also charging the ball and ran into Marlow as he released the ball on his throw to 1b. Luckily it was a minor collision and nobody was hurt. And, the throw to 1b was not affected.
Happily, the Horns answered with a run in the bottom of the inning as the Nebraska pitchers took a bit of a dive...giving up 4 walks, 3 of them with 2 outs on the board. Ouch.
The Horns turned around and gave up another tying run in the 8th. In the 9th, Toller Boardman (who'd gotten the last out of the 8th) gave up a lead-off single. The next batter tried to bunt the runner to 2b but hit the ball a bit hard. Boardman fielded and fired the ball to ss for the start of a 1-6-3 double play! Nice. Chad Hollingsworth replaced him on the mound to get the final out of the top of the 9th on a really nice play by Mark Payton in rf who made a long run to track down a fly ball in the corner near the warning track. Nice.
In the bottom of the 9th, Erich Weiss (playing 3b) reached on a 1-out double to the cf/rf gap. Mark Payton was intentionally walked. CJ Hinojosa was up. The infield pulled in. Strike. Ball. Single past ss up the middle. Weiss scored. Texas won. Whew. My favorite part of the whole deal? Hollingsworth got the win. He threw a grand total of two pitches. I love baseball. I really do.
Here's the line (from GameTracker):
And, a link to the GameTracker replay as well.
And, more links:
The Horns left way too many runners on the bases today, many of them in scoring position. It was a really fun finish to the game but...wow. They shouldn't have even been playing in the bottom of the ninth!
Posted by Joanna at 11:59 PM